Friday 23 August 2013

Jelly Orange Segments

So I saw these jelly orange segments on Pinterest, and thought I would make some for Jennifer's christening buffet.  Ive since found the original post on Onehandedcooks blog.


So this is the way I made them.



1)  First I halved 8 large oranges across the middle.


2)  Scoop out the soft flesh using a spoon.  (I saved the insides for fresh orange juice)

3)  I used a muffin tin to hold the emptied peels still, this made it a LOT easier to move them to the fridge and to keep them straight when setting.  

4) Next I made the jelly, most colours were from a packet jelly (orange, strawberry, lime, blackcurrant).  The packet suggested to use 1pint of water, however I used only 2/3rds of a pint because it gives a thicker set.  For the blue Jelly, I made the jelly as follows:  Mixed 1 packet of gelatin with blue gel colouring and a pint of water, with a small amount of banana flavouring.  These are the products I used: 
  

5)  Once a colour was ready, I simply divided them into 4 orange halves, and when all were filled, popped them into the fridge to set.
(the middle row 1st orange didn't work, I think i cut a hole in it when i tried to remove a stringy bit lol)

6)  The next day once set, just cut the halves into three and then lay out on a tray for presentation.  


They went down really well at the christening, all the kids loved them, and so did the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment