Saturday 24 August 2013

Cup cakes (old)

Ive found a stash of pictures of some of my cupcakes from when I first learnt how to decorate with butter icing so I thought I'd share them with you.  

This is what my very first set looked like with just icing on.


And then with the sugarcraft flowers and leaves on to finish.  








This cake was decorated by cutting small marshmallows diagonally and laying them in a ring, and finishing with silver and pink sugar pearls.  



All boxed up they looked so nice that I didn't eat them and had to throw them away after keeping them a week to show off to everyone and anyone.


Those cakes were all done at Centre Parcs on one of their activities offered at Nottingham, I really enjoyed it even though I was about 23 weeks pregnant and the smell of the sugar made me feel sick.  I was amazed at how well my first attempt came out.  

A few weeks later I tried out my new skills for a birthday party.



I think my first attempt was better, but I was still just learning at this point and didn't quite have the right ratio of icing sugar to butter.

So then there was the Halloween part at work, I made these yummy treats.


Then I tried to make rainbow icing.... now this wasn't so great, I made very dark colours which didn't look very tasty.  Dark colours also tend to mix badly giving a brown mushy colour in patches.  These cakes weren't much of a hit, but theres a lesson in every fail.  this lesson is "pale colours are better on cakes, bold colours aren't tasty."
I'll share the pictures anyway so you can all see my disaster ;D










No comments:

Post a Comment